28 August 2020

Forbidden Fruit ~ Ball, Ball, Ball…

Greetings Dear Reader,

When my younger Son, Bezel was two, trips to the store were a guaranteed adventure.  Often, when we were just inside the door of the store, whatever store it was, he would begin a soulful mournful chant.  He would look sorrowfully at me and cry “ball, ball, ball.”  He would pause for a moment to see if a ball had appeared and then start again.


We tried several things pacify him without actually buying yet another ball.  We would sneak one into the store, let someone know we brought it with us, and give it to him.  Then we would go through the charade of “paying for it” and give it back to him.  This worked twice.  Bezel has always been smart.

I realized after months of this drama that he knew he had a quarter-million balls at home.  He simply wanted one that he did not have.  He wanted one of the ones in the netting that was not already his.  To me, this is still a vitally clear example of envy and coveting.  As someone who is a natural “collector” of things, I battle with envy all the time. 

I can justify in my mind how I will use what I covet for good.  I will easily dismiss my envy as admiration.  If you wonder what the difference is between envy and coveting, it is simple.  The first, envy is desiring to be like others or have things like others have.  Coveting is wanting what is theirs.  Both are wrong and are products of our own dissatisfaction. 

It is not wrong to want something.  Our Father likes to give us good things and wishes for us to be satisfied.  Where we corrupt it is when we put possessions, power, or position over our love for the Father and each other.  If I spend money on a thing that I just want it is not always wrong.  There is even provision in the Law of Moses for us to use some of our earning to purchase “Whatever our heart desires.”   The catch is that I must be accountable for what my heart desires. 

The things I want are far fewer than they used to be.  Possessions have for the most part lost their shine.  When I feast on the fruit of envy, I lack gratitude for what I have and place wanting something over wanting to love the Father.  I lost sight of following the Son because I seek something that is not at the heart of love and grace.

Again, it is not wrong to have things or want something new.  It is always wrong for me to want any single thing over my obedience to loving the Father and his creation.  The oldest possessions I have are not things that were shiny and new.  They are things I acquired whilst adventuring toward my relationship with the Father.  Jesus made it clear, Dear Reader, that if we seek the Father and his kingdom, all that we desire that is good will be given us. 

I have to work daily to train my mind to seek the Father first.  The entire world would rather have me want more things and be dissatisfied with them as I obtain them.  Then when grace gets through, it helps me see that all that stuff hinders my faith and following.  What I must dine on is the fruit of love and grace instead of the forbidden fruit of envy.  I will gladly share the former with you, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“I am so often deterred from my actual intent by distractions is a cellophane wrap, and the cruel voice that taunts me when I open them up to find just one more box full of crap.”

No comments:

Post a Comment