13 August 2020

Jesus Fan Fiction ~ Free Choice

Greetings Dear Reader,

I was in a discussion with someone I love dearly.  I was explaining that there are natural consequences to our choices.  She was bothered by this and said, “I don’t want there to be consequences.”  I hear this in my head every time I wish I were not receiving the consequences of my poor choices.

One of the fanfiction genera that we all embrace is the idea that Jesus forgives us so there are no consequences.  This is a great lie.  Some things follow others in sequence.  That is the way it is.  It is the reason that we need grace and mercy. 

We think that because all consequences do not appear instantly that they will not come.  Sometimes we think that we can outrun them.  We try to bargain our way out of them as well.  They follow our choices because they are part of the choice.

I rarely see my own consequences until they are upon me.  Too often, I see the consequences creeping up on others.  My failures, however, often keep them from hearing me when I try to warn them.  Yet another consequence and casualty of my choices is added to the load.

We grieve too often over the consequence and not the sin. Our eyes fix on our circumstance and not the choices that brought us here.  I have seen the Father give both grace and mercy to me when I deserve nothing.  I am not being self-deprecating.  I surely do not deserve the love of the Father or the redemption offered by the Son.  The consequence of my rejection of the Father should be that I remain fatherless.  Instead, he asks that I accept by faith that he loves me and that his true Son has paid the penalty for my failures.

Too often we deny that there will be any reckoning for our choices.  There will be and we will try to avoid them.  This is one of our great fanfictions that Jesus will not hold us accountable for our choices.  He actually said that we will give an account for every word we speak.  Ponder that for a bit with me, Dear Reader.

If I pretend that there are not consequences for my words and actions, then I fictionalize who Jesus is.  He wishes to deal with me in love and grace.  His desire is to show mercy.  He will, if he has to, meet out justice for what I say and do. 

The journey home will be filled with opportunities to choose.  What I choose will have consequences.  It will not matter what I want when this unfolds.  When I choose to act, I choose my consequence.  I choose the fruit of the trees I plant.  That is the way that it is and the way it must be.  It is why I strive to be lovingly unoffendable, kind, generous, and gracious.  I still fail but choosing to love first and deal in grace is becoming a habit.  I have left behind the kind of fiction that denies who Jesus is.  What do you think, Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“What you want is irrelevant; What you have chosen is at hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment