23 August 2020

Forbidden Fruit ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Some years ago, there was a popular event called the Darwin Awards.  According to their site, “The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner.”  These are tragic examples of those who have failed to think things through or whose arrogance has caused them to ignore the warnings of their common sense.

There are some things we just should not do.  Some things are completely foolish and other things are a failure to learn from the examples, good or ill, from those who came before us.  We can learn from the mistakes of others.  We often choose not to do so.

In my journey with Christ, I know that I sometimes fail to follow him.  In almost every instance I do things that I have done wrong before and I fail to learn from those mistakes.  Most of my consumption of forbidden fruit comes from eating again that which I have tasted and desire even though it is not good for me.  Even during the consumption, I often know that I will regret it.

We do this all the time when we overeat.  We feel full.  We have already consumed what we need.  Then the dessert tray comes around or we think we want just one more of those delicious little sandwiches.  We know that we should not eat more but we do.  Then we are miserable from overeating and we complain about it. 

Whether it is death or a bellyache, when we choose to do some things, we know we are plucking a ripe piece of forbidden fruit.  We are failing to learn from the past whether it is our own failures or the collective Darwinian history of our species.  We constantly repeat the things that we know will cause us harm. 

What I wish to examine is how I approach the various kinds of forbidden fruit and how I will harden my defense against repeating errors that I know I should not.  This is not an exercise of listing the things I should not do.  Rather, it is an attempt to better understand how I can follow Christ more closely by strengthening my ability to refuse to pluck forbidden fruit.

Please feel free to walk with me as I try to become better, stronger, and wiser.  I am not saying I struggle with everything I will consider.  I would, however, like to make sure that I do not pridefully neglect every facet of this problem.  The temptation to do that which I should not can come from anywhere.  As always, Dear Reader, your thoughts and questions are of value to me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
]\#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
 
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

No matter how good that green persimmon looks, I would not eat it.


No comments:

Post a Comment