17 August 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Star Trek: Lower Decks

Greetings Dear Reader,

Several of you have written asking my opinion of the new Star Trek series.  Here is my response.  There are no spoilers.

The newest Star Trek series offered by CBS premiered this month.  I have wanted a series based on the STTNG episode “The Lower Decks” since it premiered twenty plus years ago.  I was apprehensive when they announced that it would be a cartoon.

I speculated that perhaps they were going for the attention of a younger audience.  I hoped that they would put together a story worth following anyway.  Two weeks in, I am sorely disappointed in what is being offered. 

It is a cartoon for adults.  Its pacing is bombastic and represents to me the worst offering thus far from the Star Trek universe.  Do not misunderstand me.  I will still watch it but I am not enjoying it. 

They could produce a real hour-long drama about lower decks life that would be worth watching.  It is long overdue and could really compliment Discovery and Picard.  They could even develop it in tandem with the new Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series in the works.  They could set it on the Enterprise and shoot it whilst shooting Pike’s series.  Then it could air alternate weeks or in the ten weeks after It. 

When you mess with the flavor and timbre of Star Trek, you fail.  I feel that Lower Decks has done just this, Dear Reader.  It may right itself but I still yearn for something of deeper substance and greater scope.  Feel free to disagree with me if you must.  As I said, I will still watch it.  Star Trek in any form is part of my cultural and spiritual DNA.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 
 

James T. Kirk: My friends, the great experiment... the Excelsior, ready for trial runs.
Hikaru Sulu: She's supposed to have transwarp drive.
Montgomery Scott: Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.
James T. Kirk: Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment