12 August 2020

Jesus Fan Fiction ~ Jesus is Magic

Greetings Dear Reader,

I regularly get to hear a six-year-old child pray.  Her prayer is more like a visit to Santa’s lap than addressing the King of all creation.  Still, she always wants to pray and that is a beautiful thing.  She is only six and does not yet understand the intimacy of prayer.

One of the most irksome things I see is the way in which others who know better treat Jesus like he is their own personal magic lamp.  They pray and teach others to pray about their needs and their wants.  They spend little time interacting with God as a King or compassionate Saviour. 

Western Christianity contains too much thinking that God is our ATM to get what we want in exchange for a little lip service and wearing the right t-shirt.  The health and wealth that is touted as our right by some is just another form of Jesus fanfiction.  The Father does want us to depend on him for all our needs and to give our desires into his care.  He does not promise that we will be rich or that we will never be ill or harmed.

He wishes for us to focus on the needs of others.  He wants us to pray for them, hurt with them, and have faith on their behalf.  I have a friend who often shares his prayer time with me.  He constantly prays for others to have a healthy mature faith.  I have heard him say when others struggle with belief, “I will believe enough for both of us until you get there.” 

It is not that Jesus is magic.  It is that our faith, when focused on the proper things becomes a powerful tool to harness the promise that we can ask what we will.  My dreams and desires are not wrong.  They must, however, be kept in perspective so that when I pray for them, I am not rubbing a magic lamp.  Jesus is not my djinn.  He is the one who loves my soul and longs to give me whatever will further align my journey with his.

I must not engage in the fanfiction that I will get whatever I ask.  I will allow the Father to shape the desires of my heart so that he can supply them knowing that I will use them well.  In remembering that adoration, confession, and thankfulness are all as vital as supplication in prayer, I find that I can shift the focus to a proper attitude.  It is also helpful to me that I save the supplication for last. 

We all know that feeling when someone asks us for something without even saying hello.  There is also the arrogance of those who ask us for things after offending us like nothing has happened.  Finally, there is a lack of gratitude that hurts us.  I must consider that I do this often and abstain from it. 

We must pray, Dear Reader.   We must not neglect the power of doing so with the right heart and attitude.  Jesus is not our magic lamp.  That is fanfiction in the extreme.  As I pray each morning, I will pray for your needs and believe that the Father will be there for you.  If you do the same for me, I will be very grateful.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

 Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benzes.  My friends all drive Porches, I must make amends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment