26 August 2020

Forbidden Fruit ~ It is Part of the Curse

Greetings Dear Reader,

In 2017 and 2018 when I was out of work, I did my part to look for work every day.  Then, to my complete joy, I spent the bulk of the day writing.  I find joy in writing in a way that I enjoy little else.  It is what I desire to do as my full-time work for life.


You see, I desire to work but I want to work at something I love.  Work was intended for us from the beginning.  Adam was told to tend the garden.  I am not sure what that entailed since there was no death.  He still had work to do that was not “by the sweat of his brow.”  Then I think of how many people work at jobs they hate.

We must work.  That is the nature of things in a fallen world.  That we often do not get to do the work we love may not be intended.  I know that when I discipline my life to make progress toward my aforementioned goal, I get closer.  The work does not exhaust me.  I am doubly blessed because the other job I have that provides my income is also a pleasant one.  I get to help other humans get their healthcare needs met.

Still, there is something in me that would rather do nothing.  I would rather be free from all obligations and drift through the world.  That is the forbidden fruit that I covet when things do not unfold as I wish for them to unfold.  Learning to work at what I love when I do not have to helps me avoid lazy leisure.  It reveals to me the lies that we tell ourselves to avoid the hard work of getting where we wish to be in our vocations.

There must be a life/work balance.  We rarely see too much leisure as an imbalance.  As I work to make sure that I do not overwork or over rest, I find that the desire to “sit and scroll” or watch some entertainment and do nothing else is strong.  The only way to avoid this trap is through mental discipline.

During this pandemic, it has been difficult for many to stay motivated.  I have heard many friends talk about how hard it is to stay focused, motivated, and disciplined in the things they want to do but do not.  I think that this is another area where I need to depend on the love and grace of the Father when I seek him. 

He wishes for us to redeem our time, Dear Reader.  It is a gift from him and we are accountable for it.  It is not wrong to follow discussion threads and scroll through the feed.  It is wrong to get lost in it and lose time to it.  We are meant to rest and recreate ourselves.  What I must not do is forget that the only way to get where I wish to be is through work that I entrust to the Father as an act of worship.

I was speaking with my friend Danette and we were discussing the nature of eternal worship once we reach home.  We need to remember that everything we do with a heart to the Father is an act of worship.  When we give our best and live in balance in work, art, or even leisure to the Father we are worshiping.  I cannot imagine that giving in to lazy leisure that I have not earned through good work is in that category.

I will keep working, Dear Reader.  I pray that soon it is only to produce more stories for you and that it frees me to be where I am needed.  Until then, I will write around the time that I have to use to make my tents.  Whatever I am doing, your companionship is always a blessing and source of joy.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

 Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

 Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 Leisure in balance is not wrong; it is necessary.  Leisure out of balance is deadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment