25 August 2020

Forbidden Fruit ~ Cravings

Greetings Dear Reader,

The opening story in Sheetrock on the Road revolves around my mum’s cravings for chocolate and a piece of sheetrock.  Although I deal with the issue with humor, as a species what we crave often controls us.  I have often set aside my focus on loving others and thinking of their needs because of cravings.

Our desires too often override our good sense.  Whet we want gets in the way of what is right, what is loving, and what is prudent.  We want that candy bar, new thing, or shiny object.  We betray our promises, faith, and vows for pleasures that we think will satisfy but rarely do.  It occurs to me that we violate our promises based on promises of pleasures that never last.

I have waited to use the word “lust” because I want to frame it in more than a sexual context.  We lust for things that often have nothing to do with sex.  Anything that we desire beyond what is right and good is a form of lust.  It is not wrong to want something.  It is wrong to put that desire before our faith and following.  Again, I have done this and the impact echoes through to today.

Lust is pursuing anything that is meant to selfishly satisfy our desires over what we are called to be as Christ-followers.  That new car is not wrong as long as we do not desire it over our responsibility to be obedient in other areas.  It is good to have good things but things are not good if we obtain them at the expense of the welfare of others.  When we take pride in our possessions, we are bragging about our fulfilled lusts. 

When I feel the desire for something, anything, I must filter it through my obligations, my faith, and my needs.  Sometimes when I desire a thing it is because I am moving toward things that are healthy and good.  This is never the case when I am simply satisfying my cravings, wants, or lust.  Even good things can become wrong when I indulge my wants over what is right. 

If I am going to follow Christ well, I must cage all of my cravings withing the grace that the Father provides.  If I seek him first, I will better manage my desires.  If I find my delight in him, my desires will align with his and all will be well.  The Father assures us that when we focus on him, he will provide the desires that are good for us.

As I journey through this thinking, I want to crave a deeper love for the Father in every endeavor.  I desire to follow the Son more closely with every step.  I long for an ear that hears the Spirit whenever he speaks and not just when I hunger for guidance.  If we measure our desires against love and grace, Dear Reader, perhaps we can hunger more deeply for the right things.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment