10 August 2020

Jesus Fan Fiction ~ Why Write Fiction?

Greetings Dear Reader,

 First, let me say that this will lead to the common application of my journey in following Christ.  I need, however, to consider the value of what I do in weaving tales of fiction that surround the Divine.  Since fiction is not true, I must ponder if historical fiction is a form of tarnishing the truth.

Tolkien addresses this in his essay On Fairy Stories.  We create because we are created.  “…We make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker”.   As with all things we can do that are good, we do them out of the formative “DNA” of our design.  When we create stories for good purposes, we are furthering the intent of redemption.  Tolkien and Lewis both crafted tales that delivered the idea of our reconciliation to the Father in ways that were subtle but binding.

There are those who suggest that fiction is not good or that it is only for children.  These two positions are untenable for those who follow Christ in truth.  Jesus used parables, fictional stories, to teach the truth.  This alone satisfies both objections.  He used them so, they are, therefore, good.  Jesus used them with adults, they are, therefore, not only for children.  Quod erat demonstrandum.

 Since following Christ involves emulating what Jesus did, it is reasonable that we would create stories to reflect the truths he taught us.  My approach is to put hands and feet on those ideas and ideals through telling stories that fill in the life around the accounts given in the Bible.  I am not adding to the account.  I am not trying to say that the biblical account is not enough.   I do attempt to tell stories that reflect the character of God as he interacts with his supporting cast. 

The reason I wish to write for my income is so that I can spend my time crafting ways to suggest that others follow Christ.  I want my days to be filled with writing and serving others.  The reason I write, whether anyone reads it or not, is to sharpen my focus on faith and following.  It is my faith that is encouraged by spinning out the tales that dance through my mind.

If you, Dear Reader, are encouraged by my stories and musings, it helps me when you let me know.  I make my writing public for accountability and to push me to better live what I believe.  It will become my sustenance when the Father wills it.  Your obligation is to do what you are required of by the Father.  It is not my place to say what that is.  It is, however, your responsibility to live whatever truth you gain from my scribblings.  Together we can become better followers of Christ if we both apply our hearts to this.  I treasure your prayers and patronage for my writing and the journey I am on concerning it.

 Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 

If we dismiss the image of the Divine in the tales crafted by Tolkien and Lewis, we dismiss the Divine.  That is no small thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment