01 August 2020

Diminished ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

 This past week, my dear friend Tom posted some thoughts about people making memes or joking about deaths due to the virus.  He poignantly reminded us that this loss hurts someone and the joking about it may further the harm.  He also reminded me that we are diminished by the death of others.

 When John Donne thought he was dying, he wrote the following:

 'No Man is an Island' - John Donne
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore, never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

 We have seen many losses this year.  I think we are already too desensitized to death.   Perhaps that is part of the diminishing.  That is what I wish to explore for a few miles.  As we travel, we are going to encounter death.  There have been deaths that have diminished me greatly and for a long time.  There have been deaths that I have wrongly wished or celebrated; not seeing how they diminished me.

 As we journey together, I want to look at the ways in which we are diminished by death.  I wrote a book about it, Chronicles of Thanatos the Reaper.  This book began shortly after I understood the necessity of death.  This look at death together, however, will not be a set of stories.  Rather, I wish to be sure that I analyze death as it diminishes us in this time.  I want to be sure that I honor every life.

 What I will do is begin with the way in we are diminished and analyze the losses.  I want to see how I am changed and how it impacts you as well, Dear Reader.  There is a way to paddle out of this mess.  We need to find it together.  I know that love is the hard surface we must traverse.  It seems that celebrating or joking about another human’s death is not loving.  Please stay with me as we explore this.  The topics will be hard but your thoughts and questions will always help. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

 Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium        
 Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.”


 


No comments:

Post a Comment