19 July 2020

Check Engine Light ~ How Much is Enough?

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is a short story that captivated me when in high school.  It is “How Much Land Does a Man Need?” by Leo Tolstoy.   I will not spoil it for you but it is an excellent commentary on how we turn genuine desire to do better into greed and excess.

If you run off to read Tolstoy straight away, please return.  You see, I have thoughts on this that may help us journey through the current distress and beyond.  As I ponder what I have, I know I have more than I need.  I usually eat breakfast whilst writing my blog.  This morning it occurred to me that I have so much more food than many in the world.  My small larder holds enough for at least a week and if I am careful, a fortnight. 

As I ponder this, I find my mind wishing that I had a larger larder or refrigerator.  That is not, however, what I really wish.  That is me wanting to possess more.  It is my failed self, trying to control my future.  It is not me depending on the Father for my daily bread.

We do this in so many ways.  We want a little more space, money, or possessions.  We pursue that which is temporary, using up life to gain things that cannot give life.  When I pursue anything over the love and care of people, I diminish life and waste time.  I cannot hope to find the path home in this temporary land if I burden my life with possessions and greed for more.  

There are things we need.  There is even space in the journey for common wants.  If, however, I am seeking things over the love and care of others, I am practicing the most mundane and common of idolatry.  I must ponder how much is enough and live by it.  I must allow the Father to put the desires in my heart that align with his.  He will then fulfill those desires in ways that show me his love for me.

It seems that wanting more than I need is a good check engine light for where my heart is aligned.  It is a good way to focus on Christ and his prayer that the Father be our only source of provision.  It is why I must keep working to simplify my life.  It is the purpose behind my pursuit of Project Tortoiseshell and why I wish to be free to only acquire my sustenance through writing.  It is why I keep writing and preparing to have fewer things.

I must be content to have Christ alone, Sola Christi if I am to gain any ground toward home.  The rest will be added as I delight myself in the Father and following his Son.  The check engine light of wanting more is one that can help us stop and remember the blessings we already possess, Dear Reader.  Once counted, those blessings are always enough if we are honest.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 


No comments:

Post a Comment