08 July 2020

The Path of Peace ~ When God is Silent


Greetings Dear Reader,

When I first arrived back in the North Georgia Mountains, I was very broken.  It was during this time that a song surfaced that carried me through those first few months as I confronted who I was and who I wished to become.  To me, the Father had been silent for some time.  I had no internal peace and those who loved me had gone to war with me.

To be clear, their complaints were merited.  I had refused to see the depth of my failures and the length of my distance in following Christ with my whole heart.  As my life fell apart around me, it seemed that the Father was silent.  In truth, however, he was speaking and I did not like what he was saying.  He was calling my name and I was refusing to hear it.

I think that pride acts like earplugs. We cannot hear when we are being warned or even clearly told that we are no longer on the path to peace.  We build a path that may look or feel similar to that of following in faith and humility.  We convince ourselves that we are carrying love and peace with us.  What we are doing is growing further and further from who we are meant to be and hurting those we love in the process.

When the Father seems to be silent, we need to listen harder.  I know that I find that silence more tolerable now than I ever have.  I use it better and it no longer harms me.  It is the silence of God that draws me closer to him instead of me filling it with noise that means nothing.  We need to recall that there is a truth.  God is never silent. 

The world sings to us of his presence and power all the time.  It is always our ears and never God’s voice that is the problem.  We must become better listeners if we are to remain on the path of peace.  Job reminds us that the Father’s mind is fixed on us.  He constantly thinks of each of us. 

If we are to remain on the path of peace, we must draw closer to Christ when he seems silent.  We must listen without interference.  I must remember those lessons I have learned about listening and about silence.  I must ignore those who like I used to, pretend that everything is fine.  We are not fine, Dear Reader.  We are not OK.  We will be but we have a way to go to get there.  We must listen, hear, and help each other when we are weak.  I am thankful for your company.

The Silence Of God – Michael Card

It's enough to drive a man crazy; it'll break a man's faith
It's enough to make him wonder if he's ever been sane
When he's bleating for comfort from Thy staff and Thy rod
And the heaven's only answer is the silence of God

It'll shake a man's timbers when he loses his heart
When he has to remember what broke him apart
This yoke may be easy, but this burden is not
When the crying fields are frozen by the silence of God

But when you have to listen to the voices of the mob
Who are reeling in the throes of all the happiness they've got
When they tell you all their troubles have been nailed up to that cross
Then what about the times when even followers get lost?
'Cause we all get lost sometimes...

There's a statue of Jesus on a monastery knoll
In the hills of Kentucky, all quiet and cold
He's kneeling in the garden, as silent as a stone
All His friends are sleeping and He's weeping all alone

And the man of all sorrows, he never forgot
What sorrow is carried by the hearts that he bought
So, when the questions dissolve into the silence of God
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
In the holy, lonesome echo of the silence of God

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 



No comments:

Post a Comment