04 July 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Use Your Freedom


Greetings Dear Reader,

As the sun sets on Independence Day, 2020, I ponder the words my younger Son, Bezel wrote this morning:

I've always been a huge celebrator of Fourth of July mostly because it's close to my birthday and I like blowing things up. I like grilling out. I like drinking with my friends. But I cannot celebrate our country for what it is... I don't know that I ever have. I celebrate what it could or furthermore what it should be. The myth of America is that it's a place where every person no matter their skin color, belief system, sexual orientation, country of origin has a chance to be free and live in peace and harmony... this is untrue for so much of our citizenry especially the ones who were here before any colonizers decided to make this land their home. This year as we blow out the candles on America's birthday let's wish for that free land of love and harmony and acceptance. That's what the world NEEDS, a place where people can just live and be free and help each other no matter what you look like.

I do not think that we understand just how close to the truth he sails.  We have freedom and we do not use it well.  Therein lies our great difficulty.  I have enjoyed time with friends, time with family, and a paid day off of work.  If that is all that my freedom is used for, then I am failing to use my freedom well. 

What is the purpose of freedom?  It is not the simple pursuit of that which makes me happy.  The purpose of freedom is to use it for the benefit of all humans.  That good use is to not indulge our vices but to serve others in love.  It is vital that we use our God-given freedom to love others as the Father loves them.

I watch as both sides indulge their anger and outrage instead of loving each other.  The clamor for or against our nation, political positions, and the rights of others are all manageable if we take on the attitude of loving service.  We have heard this from so many different angles we do not need to be reminded. 

We do need to act.  We need to see every need as an opportunity to serve others in love.  It almost does not matter what the other side says.  The fact that they do not see the love of Christ in our actions should be enough to push us.  It should be enough to make us shut up, listen, and serve in love. 

My Grandfather, who adopted my natural father, was a white police officer in Atlanta during the 1950s and early 1960s.  As a lead sergeant, he approached every incident the same way.  He would arrest you if you were committing a crime.  He would bring you to his house for meal a before taking you to jail.  Other officers would call him if African Americans were involved because they knew he would deal with them in justice with integrity.  He once told me that when someone breaks the law that color does not matter because justice is supposed to be blind. 

I pondered all of this today and was reminded of something in my new book, Thoughts and Questions on Galatians.  I ask the question about something Paul writes.  He says:

Galatians 5:13 (NASB) 13 “For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”

The question is: Why is it so important that we use our freedom for service with love and humility?  So I wonder if today we are using our freedom for service.  I wonder where our humility and love are.  I wonder how long the Father will put up with any side posturing, rioting, killing, or condemning when we are failing to love and serve.  I ask you to ponder it with me, Dear Reader before the sun sets on our freedom.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment