18 July 2020

Check Engine Light ~ Mockingbirds

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was younger, I could make a sound by sucking air between my cheek and gum that would cause mockingbirds to dive at me and warn me away.  My oldest Son, then age eight, would laugh saying that I was mocking the mockingbirds.  It was a great opportunity to teach the necessary lessons about not mocking others.

In social media, it is common to see people mock others over social and political issues.  We mock those who make mistakes or misspeak.  When circumstances cause embarrassment for others, we dine on their misfortune for our own entertainment.  We jokingly mock those who hold political, social, and religious positions that are different than ours without questioning our motives.  We insist that we are only joking. Those “jokes” may seem funny but they are not nested in love for others.

It seems that we have lost our understanding of how we should not mock others.  Mockery is, at its heart unkind and unloving.  It camouflages, poorly, the anger we have over an issue or with the target of our mockery.  Since our anger is never supposed to live past the day, if we practice mockery, we are carrying anger with us.  This is too great a burden for us to bear.  The anger that causes us to mock others harms us.

At the heart of mockery is anger and perhaps even hatred.  Jesus equated hatred with murder.  Let that hold space in your thinking for a moment.  If I am to follow Christ with all that I am, I must not mock anyone.  I must not joke at the errors or misfortunes of others.  Using differences as cannon fodder never leads to peace. 

Mockery can also be a tool in our quest to be lovingly unoffendable.  When others mock us, we can choose to be untouched by it.  We can decide ahead of time that those who mock us have allowed their anger to fester.  Our response to mockery can be love and kindness; grace and mercy.   We can seek to understand the source of our anger.  We can humbly take the opportunity to be good to those who despitefully use us.

When there is mockery, whether it is ours or theirs, it is an excellent check engine light for the situation.  If I am the mocker, I need to set aside my anger and be more loving.  I need to not justify it as a joke or with getting others to mock with me.  If I am being mocked, I need to seek to understand the needs of those mocking me.  I need to receive their actions with love and peace.  I need to return love for hatred.

The impact of our mockery may never be known to us.  We will offend if we mock publicly.  We may harm and weaken our ability to represent Christ.  It is not following Christ to mock others.  I must only communicate love and kindness.  I must use my desire to mock as a check engine light to my anger and attitude.  We can find humor elsewhere that is healthy and good, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

The only mockingbird we need to kill is the one that wishes to nest in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment