27 July 2020

Second Thoughts ~ I do not Drink Kool-Aid®

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is a video a friend shared of New York Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.  I rarely agree with the Congresswoman, but I felt it proper to stand with her on this issue.  The comments that I got in response were unkind for the most part.

One fellow human said, “And yet you'll still vote for Donald Trump, so who gives a $#!+  what you think?”  I am not a Republican, nor did I say anything about the President. It seems that if I do not agree with everything someone says, I somehow am immediately in the wrong.

Others were kind and thanked me for being civil and supportive.  The difficulty I see is how quickly opinions devolve into sniping and name-calling.  Fellow travelers who do not know me, my politics, or my disposition launched hatred at me for being supportive of their idol.  I do not like Kool-Aid®.  I never have.  I refuse to drink it actually or virtually to appease anyone.

We need to remember how to rally around those issues with which we agree no matter where they come from or who says them.   Truth is truth.  Every social movement has some truth to it.  If we began to agree and be supportive where those truths are, we might discover that we have common ground on which to stand to engage in peaceful loving conversation.

We cannot claim to follow Christ and disagree with this statement from Representative Ocasio-Cortez:  “Having a daughter does not make a man decent. Having a wife does not make a decent man. Treating people with dignity and respect makes a decent man. And when a decent man messes up as we all are bound to do, he tries his best and does apologize not to save face, not to win a vote. He apologizes genuinely to repair and acknowledge the harm done so we can all move on.”

Think this through.  Everything she says reflects the truth of Christ in how we are to treat each other.  Oh, and no matter what your position on her positions, you are required to love her.  I am weary of the insistence that we have to drink their Kool-Aid to admit when they are right.  Further, I hate when we malign people over politics.  It is poor thinking and poor faith. 

Avalon reminded me of a poem my Grandfather always quoted:

Outwitted
by Edwin Markham (1852-1940)
He drew a circle that shut me out —
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in!

We need to draw bigger circles that show love to everyone.  I need to support ideas that reflect the love of Christ.  I am going to do so because I know that I can do this and my faith is not threatened.  If it were, then it is my faith that needs care, Dear Reader.  Let us agree to share a drink over the truths we all share, as long as it is not Kool-Aid®. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

If we ignore our differences and spend some time looking at where we agree, we might find a way to paddle out of this mess together.

No comments:

Post a Comment