15 September 2020

Gnats and Camels ~ Arguments

Greetings Dear Reader,

I love to debate.  When I can have a peaceful meaningful conversation with someone over a faceted topic, I am energized and inspired.  There is nothing wrong with a good discussion of things with which we disagree or do not fully accept.


There is, however, something beyond that which is unhealthy and detrimental.  We argue.  We allow emotion to get into the pool with disagreement.  The result is that we leave behind civility and forget kindness.  We fight with each other over things that do not matter more than our love for each other.

Unfortunately, it goes deeper than that.  We develop resentment and even hatred for those who disagree with us.  We create enemies over things that do not matter when the dust of our verbal war settles.  We destroy friendships, families, and fellowship over our thoughts on social, political, and theological issues.  Our society seems to have lost the ability to see past our differences to that which unites us all.

We act in prejudicial ways to combat prejudice.  Our faith is used to batter people who do not share our beliefs, abandoning the love we are to show to all humans.  We snipe and snark out memes that may hold truth but lack kindness and compassion.  It is love that must define us and not our witty comebacks or piercing taunts.  No matter how funny or sly we are, if we lack love, we fail.

I am very good at the prodding piercing comeback.  I must not use it to harm anyone or diminish respect in the world.  No matter how strongly I disagree, anger and malice have no place in my discussions.  When I feel my emotions overtaking my determination to love, I must arrest that movement.  Words harm and heal.  Personal attacks of any kind betray my obligation to love completely and without hesitation.

Paul, instructing his young apprentice, Timothy writes, “Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.”

He also told the Corinthians that no matter how eloquent we are, if we speak without love we are nothing more than a banging gong.  I must choose every word in an attempt to communicate love even when I disagree.  It is our failure at this that leads to the division and hatred that exists in our world.  If I disagree with you, Dear Reader, you must leave every conversation about that disagree sure that I love you more than my position or standard.  Anything less is to violate the truth.  If I am straining over the gnats of our positions and swallowing the camel of loveless argument, I am destined to choke on my own words.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 
 

In all of our conversations, the only words that will endure forever are the ones spoken with a heart full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment