14 September 2020

Gnats and Camels ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

In the second season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery, Tilly, and awkward Ensign is told, “You will be a magnificent Captain someday because you do everything out of love.”  It is one of those moments where we see that the value of love shines through in everything.  In light of that thought, I wish to ponder something Jesus said and perhaps we can journey together for a bit over it.


When Jesus confronted the Pharisees, he said this, “You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.”   First, and minor, I think this settles the question of whether Jesus ever used hyperbole.  That is unless you think that the Pharisees were also professional camel-swallowers.   What Jesus was addressing is the fact that we often major on the minors.  We inflate the importance of issues and ignore some of the vital ones. 

What I aim to do is examine some things that I must keep in their proper perspective.  There are gnats and there are camels in understanding what matters in following Christ.  I hope to discover ways in which I can further refine what I swallow and minimize what strains me.  The hard deck is love.  We proceed from there to strain out the things that reject love. 

The ideas floating through my brain are both social and emotional.  I do not know where that will lead yet but I do know that I am not fond of gnats or camels.  I would ask you to walk with me as I attempt to refine my thinking so that I “do everything out of love.”  Your thoughts and questions are never gnats or camels to me.  They are an opportunity for us both to love more deeply, Dear Reader.  That is something that benefits us both.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
witter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Yeah, when the people who are supposed to care about you don't listen to you, it's frightening and it's lonely, and it makes you feel like you're crazy or like you're, like, not even there. I get that." – Ensign Tilly, Star Trek: Discovery 

No comments:

Post a Comment