16 September 2020

Gnats and Camels ~ Camel Swallowing 101

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been watching a show called Greenleaf.  It is mostly glitz and drama but it surrounds a family that is head of a southern megachurch.   What has held my interest is that throughout the show there is a thread of truth that runs through it.  That thread contrasts the swallowing of camels with the truth that is vital to us all.


The camel we seem to swallow relates to how the Father interacts with us.  I hear him described as someone who hates certain kinds of people.  He is called a moral monster.  People ascribe faults to him. They judge the Father for the sins of his children.

We further ingest this great deception by believing that the “moral monster” requires that we earn his favor.  The thing that should halt our camel dining is that we cannot merit favor from God.  We cannot earn his goodwill.  He begins with grace and love to draw us into seeing his Son and following him in faith.

The lies we swallow about the Father keep us from having faith.  It is that this show, Greenleaf, represents this aspect of God honestly that holds my attention.  The patriarch of this family states clearly, “Jesus is real.”   He tells his grandson that Jesus has room for him and always will.  He expresses that it is only faith that gets you into the relationship. 


Even though I know all of this, I find that at times I think that I have earned God’s favor or merit some reward.  In my prayers or dreams, I imagine that what I want will be given me as a recompense for my being good.  That is just the hump of dromedary fattening my belly with that which will never satisfy.  When we take in any untruth that diminishes or mitigates the grace and love of God, we have swallowed the camel.  It is like getting full-on foods that we dislike.  We become both uncomfortably full and completely dissatisfied.

I cannot do anything without grace and faith.  The Father extends that grace to us all if we accept it.  In his love, he leaves the choice to us.  Jesus wishes us to follow him.  Again, it is only we that decide if we do so.  No matter how long we have feasted on camel, we are always welcome to switch to the Bread of Life, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

I cannot believe I ate the whole camel.

No comments:

Post a Comment