22 September 2020

Guardians of Forever ~ The Shade Tree

Greetings Dear Reader,

I was privileged to enjoy dinner in a park Sunday evening.  It was a cooler evening heralding Autumn’s arrival today.  The quality of the evening light reminded me of an Autumn evening some years ago. 

In the evening in the past, I sat in the shade of my Grandfather’s large pecan tree.  The sun shown on the lawn all around me but my Grandfather and I were sitting in that shade separating tomatoes for my Grandmother.   My Grandfather was teaching me which ones were good for canning and which ones were not.


The air changed around me and I felt chilled.  My Grandfather saw this and without a word stood up, moved the half-bushel basket of tomatoes, and signaled for me to stand.  He then moved the bench into the sunlight.  Once we were seated and sorting again, he spoke.  “Remember that when you feel the chill of coming darkness, there is always still warmth from the light.  Move to it.”

It would be some years before I understood his metaphor.  What stuck with me in that moment was the way in which my Grandfather watched over me with great care.  He saw my need and acted to care for it without hesitation.  The same tree that had shaded us from the August heat could not protect me from a September chill.  He did not respond to the shade or the weather.  He cared for the need of his grandson. 

As guardians go, my Grandfather always put my needs above almost anything.  His love reminded me constantly that I mattered.  We must be this way.  It is our duty and privilege to watch over others and attend to their needs when we can.  It is one of the best ways to put hands and feet on the love of Christ. 

If my heart is committed to kindness and generosity, I can be alert and attentive to the needs of others.  I can guard things that become eternal.  It is not necessary for my actions even to be known, Dear Reader.  The idea that we can secretly care for others is very attractive to me.  It leads to many opportunities to hear the Spirit speak and have my faith strengthened whilst doing something good for someone. 

It all comes from a willingness to enjoy others benefiting without calling attention to it.  It requires attending to needs without trying to meet our want or need for glory.  As guardians of forever, we are promised a day when that which we do in secret will be known and our efforts will reveal their results.  What I look forward to is learning how the story ends.  I look toward the day when those over whom I have briefly watched were drawn closer to Christ because of my walking with him. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

Sometimes we must move to care for others before they have a chance to deny their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment