08 November 2020

There is Always More ~ Expectations of Reciprocation

Greetings Dear Reader,

A few weeks ago, my young niece brought me a drawing of herself and her dog.  It was a perfect drawing for a seven-year-old.  She gave it to me.  I properly admired it.  Then she asked, “What do you have for me?”


The look of expectation on her face was so innocent and complete that I quickly searched my mind for what would be proper reciprocation for her gift.  I know that she likes my fruit and granola bars so I gave her one of those.  She was delighted. 

It did not occur to me until later that I had been played by a little girl.  She had most likely brought the drawing out of the intent of giving a gift but she also expected something in return.  She is not old enough yet to know that expectation taints love.  The gift became an exchange instead of a free act of kindness.

The tiny cosmos of that exchange contains the entire world of the difference between endless love and that which corrupts it.  It is a keen understanding that love must possess no expectation of reciprocation.  At our very core, this is a dire and difficult paradox.  Love cannot do its work when entangled in the tendrils of expectation.

Love is the most powerful thing we have to give to others.  It crushes barriers and destroys our resistance to the Father’s call to our hearts.  We become able to love others as the Father loves and draws them along the journey toward their own encounter with the love of Christ.  This is our first best destiny.

When we place tendrils of expectation on the love we offer, we choke it.  We do damage to the integrity of love and erode the good it can do for others.  I must love unconditionally in all aspects.  I am bound by the very essence of love’s power to extend it to others freely without the expectation of reciprocation.  This is what makes love so powerful.  This is what changes the world.

The other advantage of love at this magnitude is that it only grows.  When unfettered by the expectation of reciprocation, love flows and expands to fill space, eradicate barriers, and create a level of freedom that we cannot comprehend.   This kind of love obliterates fear and devours selfishness.  It only has one foe; my will.

The love that I speak of never fails as long as I do not harness expectations to it.  It can heal and encourage everyone.  It will never run out.  It is never too late to love others.  We can give love to others without measure because there is always more, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium       
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

Loving others without expectations is our first best destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment