08 May 2021

What Does it Matter ~ If You are not Reading it?

Greetings Dear Reader, 

The discussion was not a good-natured one.  It was an outright argument between two people who claim to love and follow Jesus.  They were angry at each other over an opinion. 

There is more.  Their skirmish was over translations of the Bible.  They were at loggerheads between whether the New American Standard Bible or the New International Version was better.   If you are framing your answer to that question, you are already missing the point.  Both translations tell Christ-followers not to argue with each other.  


As I watched my friends argue, one of them turned to me and asked, “What do you think, Aramis.”  I took a breath to think, pray, and frame my answer.  As a life-long teacher, I am versed in answering questions with a question.  I asked a simple one to both of them.  “How much time do you spend reading your chosen translation each day?” 

It was sadly comical that both of them gaped at me, their mouths moving up and down like a pair of hovering river fish.  Immediately both began sputtering about intention, time, and busyness.  They quickly realized what I had done and decided to be angry with me.  

I then asked them if they knew about Paul’s instruction to us in 2 Timothy.  “Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,” (ESV)  Again I got fish mouths for a moment. 

The greater truth here is that we argue and collide over things that do not matter.  I have an opinion concerning the things that many argue over.  If asked, I will sometimes offer them.  Arguing, insulting, or making them my banner, however, is not following Christ.  I must not abandon my love, kindness, and example by arguing. 

What does it matter if I am right if I drive others away proving it?  My obligation is to the eternal truths.  My attitude must be one of patient understanding. I must listen to hear.  I know when I am right and only pride and arrogance push me to prove it.  We need not argue if we are living out the faith we have.  It will speak for itself.  If you wish to have a discussion concerning translations versus paraphrases, we can find something worth learning there, Dear Reader. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

If you are arguing over opinions, you are not loving each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment