01 July 2021

Losing My Religion ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader, 

Some time ago I was having a conversation with a dear friend.  I mentioned Jesus.  Her immediate reply was to tell me she is not religious.  What she meant was she did not want to talk about Jesus.   I was thinking through the hour-long conversation we had about Jesus after her statement.  It brought up some thoughts and questions I need to process. 


When folks say they are not religious, I need to understand what is meant by it.  Are they dismissing the conversation?   Is their intent to distinguish between what is believed versus organized religion?  What does one mean when saying, “I am not religious?” 

As I ponder these things, I am also looking at the transition I made from a traditional organized church to where I stand in faith now.  I have titled this Losing my Religion because I believe religion no longer clearly communicates who Christ-followers are.  The word is more associated with politics than it is the Father.  It seems to be more about finance than faith.  

More important, religion does not communicate who those who follow Christ are supposed to be.  It does not capture the essence of the distinctions between Jesus and religion.  These differences, and not the failures of humans are what I seek to understand and own. 

As I walk through the differences, I will also process what it means to live in faith as opposed to living under a system of practices and patterns.  The narrow line between unbelief and dead orthodoxy is a vital one.  I invite you to walk it with me for a space, Dear Reader.  As always, your thoughts and questions are welcome. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

I am not religious.

No comments:

Post a Comment