03 July 2021

Losing My Religion ~ Sports and Athletes

Greetings Dear Reader, 

I am not surprised the Tokyo Olympics has already had its share of controversy.   For too long we have allowed our sports events to become a platform for politics.  I am not saying it is wrong for an athlete to have a political or social opinion.  I do feel they need to separate it from their job. 

When I was working as a project manager, I was not allowed to speak about politics, religion, or social ills to my customers.  I was being paid to do a job.  I realize the Olympic athletes are not paid but they are chosen to do a job in any case.  They are to represent everyone in our nation with their ability.  


The blame goes on us for making a “religion” of sports.  We compromise so much of what matters for the sake of our entertainment through it.  I do not want to be a hypocrite.  I love baseball.  I will not, however, put any game or athlete above my obligation to faith and following.  We do this too often.  We put our favorite sport, team, or player on a pedestal.  Then, we are surprised when they express values contrary to ours. 

We cheer when we see a player pray and are upset when a player turns away from the flag.  The player is free to do either one.  This is how our country works.  I think we need to return to the understanding of the sporting event is not the platform to do it.  We have to move away from the worship of a  sport.  We also have to send the message others have a right to be heard but not at work.  Claiming their status as a winner gives them special privilege to do differently is an error. 

We also need to give athletes space outside of representing their sport to voice their thoughts without reprisals.  If they garner a larger audience because of their fame, we need to accept this.  I do not wish for them to be muted.  I do wish for them to be professional.  Their voice and their cause matters.  If, however, we allow a different standard than we would a factory worker or a corporate employee, we are being religious and not just. 

If I send you to represent my books to a certain place and you trash my writing, you are in the wrong for going in the first place.  If I represent someone in a venue, I am not allowed to disrespect them in said venue.  We all know this.  Some think it is their right to violate it.  I must ensure I have the attitude of respect for each individual and respect what I am tasked to do.  I will talk with anyone about Jesus who will let me but only when I can respect them as I do it. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

Turning my back on those who sent me to represent them is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment