28 December 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Farewell and Hoping You are Safe at Home

Greetings Dear Reader,

On Saturday, April 30, 1966, the clouds held the air in a damp dishrag torpor.  Clouds threatened rain but we made our way to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium none-the-less.  My Grandfather parked in his usual place a few blocks from the stadium and we made our way to the gate an entire hour early for the game.

I would learn that this was his habit when it came to baseball.  That night was my first experience at the game I would grow to love beyond measure.  As we entered the stadium uniformed police officers would call my Grandfather by name.  He would stop and shake hands with each man and share a memory or a moment with him.  He would then introduce me.  Eventually, we found our way to our box seats right next to the Braves dugout.  We would spend many late spring and summer evenings here.  I did not get to see the Braves play in Autumn until many years later.

That night other officers came up to us as we dined on hotdogs and cokes.  One of them, a police sergeant, said to my Grandfather very cryptically, “Everything is set when you are ready.”  He nodded and signaled for me to stand up.  I did. Taking me by the hand he took me to the gate near our box seats and then down the stairs onto the field.  The sergeant met us there and walked us toward the Braves dugout.

As several of the players came out, my Grandfather began to introduce me.  I met Joe Torre, Eddie Matthews, Felix Millan, Henry Aaron, and just before returning to our seats Phil Niekro.  I would get to chat with all of them over the season as my Grandfather always got their attention.  I never learned why but the players always came out to see him and by relation to me as well. 

Phil Niekro pitched that night and I learned what a knuckleball was.  Later in the season during a rain delay, he came over and taught me how to throw the pitch.  He was always kind and always had time for my curious questions.  During his career, he was my favorite pitcher anywhere.  He is why I learned to pitch and why I became good at it. 

When I heard of his passing this week, it moved me greatly.  It was not until the Braves pitching staff of the nineties that I felt the awe for a pitcher that I felt for Phil Niekro.  He always was steady, dependable, and unshakable.  I send my condolences to his family and my gratitude to the universe that this professional had room in his schedule for a little boy who loved baseball.  Rest well, sir.  Thank you for the memories. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook
Twitter        
Medium
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 

Bob Uecker; Braves catcher for Phil Niekro [On the best way to catch a knuckleball:] “Wait’ll it stops rolling, then go pick it up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment