07 November 2019

Simple Gratitude ~ Clerks


Greetings Dear Reader,

First, I do not mean the movie.  I have seen the movie and found it humorous but I want to focus on the people who make minimum wage and spend their working hours serving us.  I try to mention this hard-working group of people every year.

I will get practical in a moment but let us consider the why before the how.  If we are going to evidence gratitude for something, we must be intentional about it.  We must plan in advance how we are going to show our gratitude to others.

Why we should do this for clerks is quite simple.  Whether it is the convenience store, the grocers, or the movie theater, the person with whom we interact is serving us.  Even if it is only for a few minutes, we are engaged in an exchange based on commerce.  How we act in those few moments can matter much longer than we consider. 

I often drive from Georgia to Wisconsin.  I am a creature of habit.  I prefer to drive at night and know the places I like to stop.  I like to eat at the same places and get my petrol at the same servos.  When I drove up to help my Son, Bezel move this past month, I drove back alone and was able to stop at my favorite breakfast place on the road.  It was about a half-hour too early for it to be open, so I decided to fill up the tank in the truck first.

I pulled into the station where I always top up the tank that is near the aforementioned restaurant.  After filling up, I went inside to acquire a drink for the next leg of the trip after breakfast.  When I went in, the young lady behind the counter greeted me with a smile and a wave and I returned the same.  After selecting my drink and some nuts, I proceed to the counter to pay. 

Linda, the clerk smiles at me excitedly and blurts, “I remember you!”  Before I can respond she tells me about the time I came in a few years back and why it made a difference to her.  I will not go into the details here but I will tell you what I did that made such a big difference.  I did not do anything different than I normally do in this situation.

Here is the promised practical potential in interacting with clerks.  Remember that they are humans with real lives and genuine needs.  Enter the encounter at the counter intending to deposit love and kindness into the person with whom you transact.  Feel the gratitude for their being there to serve your needs.  Even if you can only offer a genuine moment of interaction, you are giving more than most offer in their transaction with that clerk.  Be polite, engaged, and present as you acquire your petrol, coffee, groceries, or burgers.  Represent Christ in that moment.  Look for ways to show his love and perhaps make a difference in a life.  I am grateful for clerks, Dear Reader.  I hope to always show it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon                   
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter        
Medium           Instagram 




1 comment:

  1. As a former waitress, retail clerk/manager, customer service rep, I applaud you for your kindness to those who so often get abused by ungrateful twits. God bless you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete