17 November 2019

Simple Gratitude ~ Time


Greetings Dear Reader,

I wonder sometimes if the transition from Daylight Savings to Standard Time is more difficult than others.  It occurs when the day is already experiencing less daylight in the Northern hemisphere.  I have heard more people complaining about it this year than I have in the past.

This is not a commentary on whether we need the time change or not.  I would point out that most of the complaints I have heard have gotten the change the wrong way ‘round.  This is our standard time.  Doing away with Daylight Savings would mean it was like this. 

I do wonder if we really appreciate time.  We are all given the same amount each day.  We determine how we use it.  Time is the currency we exchange for other things.  The job I work to pay my way is an exchange of time for money.  The time we have for leisure or other pursuits feels fleeting.  Time is a gift to teach us to value life.

The deeper simple gratitude is that time is what we use to follow Christ.  It is the moments invested in this which lead us along the path toward home.  We measure out things in hours and days.  Jesus wishes to encounter us in every single moment.  Each tick of the clock is one wherein he is telling us he loves us and wants to be with us.

Time is the crucible in which we burn.  We can be consumed or we can burn away the things that hinder our journey.  We can be devoured by it or we can cherish it and express our gratitude by seeking Christ in it.  I am grateful for time and wish to grow better at using it well.

At some point, the sand will run out.  I want each grain to be one in which I have loved Christ with all my heart.  I want it to be one in which I have followed and shown love to others.  The grains seem to flow faster as the year closes.  This is just an illusion.  That there are more behind than ahead is not an illusion.  For this alone, Dear Reader, we should express our gratitude in simple profound ways.

Time – Pink Floyd

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

Home
Home again
I like to be here
When I can
When I come home
Cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones
Beside the fire
Far away
Across the field
Tolling on the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment