04 November 2019

Simple Gratitude ~ Water

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently, due to a cause unknown to me, the water was off where I abide.  I discovered this when I went to fill my water bottle.  When I turned on the tap and nothing happened, I stood there confused for just a moment.  I realized that it had been decades since I had turned on the water and there was not any.

We take for granted that we have clean, fresh, readily available water.  This is not true always everywhere.  Rather, it is one of the advantages of living in a more developed country.  Further, the water is not always clean here.  Bottled water is a billion-dollar industry.  The only brand of it I really like is $12 a gallon.  We still waste so much water and express so little gratitude for it.

After that day when the water was off, I took stock of how I treat water.  I have been paying close attention to things that I do that show or neglect gratitude for water.  I look for ways to not waste a drop and it is easier than I thought.  Here are a few things to consider.  How do we treat water when we are brushing our teeth?  Are there times when we leave the water running when it is unnecessary?  Do we consider all the ways in which we use water daily and express our appreciation for its provision?  

The point is that water is something for which I am trying to have constant simple gratitude.  I can do better.  I noticed times when I do not use all the water I have taken.  I whisper a prayer of gratitude when I turn on the faucet.  It is neither formal nor lengthy.  I also remember that Jesus said that he is the “water of life.”  If he is going to identify so deeply with water then I had best respect it and be thankful.  Even as I type this, water heats, turns to steam, and flows through ground coffee beans so that I may enjoy a morning cup of coffee.

Something so essential to life is easy to obtain here.  I must remember to show gratitude for it in how I think about it and how I use it.  Even hand out a cup of cold water is service to Christ.  That alone, Dear Reader, is reason enough to practice simple gratitude for it. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            
This BLOG:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment