10 November 2019

Simple Gratitude ~ Streams


Greetings Dear Reader,

Last night I arrived early at the venue for the play I was attending.   It was intentional because I knew that I wished to do something else first.  On the grounds of the venue is a stream that I used to know well.  In that stream is a large bend that forms a deep eddy pool. 

Just above the pool is a camping area for about six motorhomes.  With permission from the security guard, I parked there for a bit.  That eddy pool is where my Sons were baptized.  I stopped there to pray for them.  I rolled down my window and listened to the stream whilst praying.  The sound of it is one that I used to hear often when I lived on these grounds.

From the day they were baptized, promising to use their lives to follow Christ, I would stop at this pool and pray for my Sons.  Then my own failures tore away the fabric of our world and we all left this place.  Since I have been back here, I go there regularly to pray for them.

There is also a stream that flows by the place where currently I live.  It flows past the house and I often pause when leaving to listen to it.  The two streams have very different sounds and very different meanings for me.  I am thankful for both.  I am grateful for the idea that like streams we are to flow always onward.  In that flow is where we find life.

Even in the years living in the frozen northern Midwest, there were streams that I knew.  Even in deep midwinter when the air hurt my face and there was snow upon snow.  Beneath snow and ice, those streams still flow.  They still yield the movement that is life.  Those frozen streams “thirst for the thaw but they’re running still.”

I hold out simple gratitude for the constant potential in the life within a moving stream.  It feeds the world and sings its simple song as it does.  It is that constant flow that yields hope and potential.  It is in that hope that I find the space to have dreams, Dear Reader.  Even when they seem frozen and unreachable, there s hope because I know that Spring will come and the streams will flow.  Perhaps we can find time to sit beside one and share a tale or two.

Scarecrow’s Dream - Dan Fogelberg.  

Seldom seen a scarecrow's dream
I hang in the hopes of replacement
Castles tall, I built them all
But I dream that I'm trapped in the basement

And if you ever hear me calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Plans I've made
A masquerade fading in fear of the coming day
Heroes' tales like nightingales
Wrestle the wind as they run away

And if you ever hear them calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Garden gate
An empty plate waiting for someone to come and fill
Scarecrow's dreams like frozen streams
Thirst for the thaw but they're running still

And if you ever hear them calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment